(HealthDay News) — Dining on the go during the holiday season means you should take precautions against food poisoning.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers this advice:
- Before eating or preparing food, wash hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
- Bring hand sanitizer or moist towelettes, in case soap and water aren’t available.
- Pack perishables in a cooler with ice. Make sure the temperature of the food stays below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Freeze a juice box to enjoy on a plane or train. Store it in a soft cooler to help keep other foods cold.
- Pack non-perishable snacks, such as crackers, pretzels, dried and whole fruits, small boxes of cereal, plain popcorn, peanut butter or raisins.
- Toss any perishable foods that you don’t refrigerate or eat within two hours.