(HealthDay News) — When looking for senior housing, whether a nursing home or assisted living facility, check for factors that will help make the home safer and more comfortable.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these guidelines:
- Look for a residence in a safe neighborhood, close to family and friends.
- Consider proximity to local groceries and shops.
- Make sure the facility’s appearance is clean, odor-free, comfortable and well-kept, both inside and out.
- Find out how many people live in the residence, and check out the floor plan to make sure it’s easy to navigate.
- Look for common areas and outdoor areas where seniors can congregate.
- Find out if residents may come and go independently.
Copyright © 2024 HealthDay. All rights reserved.