(HealthDay News) — Whether you need a pick-me-up at the office or your child needs an energy boost after school, a healthy snack can be just what you need to power through the afternoon.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these healthy snack ideas for the afternoon:
- Munch on trail mix that contains dried fruit, nuts, low-sugar cereal and whole-grain pretzels, or a handful of nuts and raisins.
- Dip into some low-fat yogurt or have your favorite fruit or fruit smoothie.
- Enjoy veggies or pretzels dipped in hummus or peanut butter, or baked tortilla chips with salsa.
- Crunch on whole-grain crackers with low-fat cheese, or enjoy a bowl of whole-grain cereal with skim milk.
- Wrap a slice of low-sodium turkey around an apple slice or in a whole-wheat tortilla with some low-fat cheese, warmed up in the microwave.
- Spread nut butter on celery sticks and top with raisins or dried cranberries.
- For a beverage, stick to water, skim milk or 100 percent fruit juice.
Copyright © 2024 HealthDay. All rights reserved.